Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Still Life

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
johnvid
Native

Default Leica m - b&w camera

Don't think the M stands for Movie...

Leica has officially announced its new monochrome digital rangefinder—the world’s first digital camera dedicated to black-and-white photography.

Called ‘Leica M Monochrom’, the company said that the camera a full-frame, 35-mm format digital camera, “designed exclusively and without any compromises for black-and-white photography”.

The camera features a full native resolution of 18-megapixels and monochrome CCD sensor, to deliver 100% sharper images than with color sensors—as raw data is processed directly.

“As its sensor does not ‘see’ colors, every pixel records true luminance values—as a result, it delivers a ‘true’ black-and-white image,” Leica wrote.

Users can achieve an extremely low noise, and are able to precisely control the tonal values through the unprocessed and unmodified raw data histogram.

“Countless iconic black-and-white photographs have been shot with legendary cameras of the Leica M-System… So it was time for a camera to continue this tradition and finally make it possible to deliver authentic monochrome photography in digital form,” Leica wrote in a statement.

“It delivers ‘true’ black-and-white images in unrivalled sharpness and dynamic range. This makes the M Monochrom the perfect camera for anyone with a passion for black-and-white photography.”

The camera is expected to cost about US$7,950, and hit shelves in late July 2012.

http://designtaxi.com/news/352480/Le...ack-And-White/
Old 05-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
johnvid
Native

The M Stands for Moolah

the 'edition hermès' m9 camera by leica

Or Mental

this looks like a cheap digicam stuck in the back of a pig with lipstick lens on it.
http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat...on-camera.html
Old 05-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Sean Lee

I was up at 3am on announcement day waiting for the information to trickle out of the twittersphere. Kind of reminded me of Nov 3 last year...

Disappointed there's no information on the M10 though. There's rumours that the M10 will have video function... I have no idea how that is going to work in a rangefinder camera. But if it does, I'll consider upgrading from my M8.2. It'll probably be poor codec and at 30fps or something. If so, I might go for a 2nd hand M9.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
johnvid
Native

I think the Monochrome one is $7k and probably has no movie?
I will never wait anywhere near the twit-o-sphere.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
David Rasberry

Ikonoscop is making a black and white version of the DII as well.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Sean Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvid View Post
I think the Monochrome one is $7k and probably has no movie?
I wasn't talking about the Monochrom, I'm talking about the M10.

The Monochrom is basically a B&W version of the M9.

I was speaking to one of the authorised Leica dealers who said that the Monochrom is Leica's final tribute to their relationship with the Kodak sensors.

The M10 is rumoured to contain a Nikon sensor like the D800 which means the M RF will finally have extraordinary low light performance but at what cost, some people have said the Kodak sensors played a big part in the 'Leica look'.

Those rumours aren't too much of a stretch I think because Leica did attempt to establish a relationship with Canon previously, which didn't work out. They already have a relationship with Panasonic for their lower end compacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvid View Post
I will never wait anywhere near the twit-o-sphere.
The rest of the world depended on Twitter and other social media during the Red Nov 3 launch. Leica had a huge event in Germany on May 10, there were live blogs and Twitter updates for the rest of the world, that's what I was referring to.

Last edited by Sean Lee; 05-13-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
johnvid
Native

Sean, I'm only Jesting, you don't strike me as Mental, I don't know if your reasons are nostalgic, or based on performance, but if you where to pony up for one of these expensive camera's, (m9 might be more reasonable) You would be in a different universe to me, at 7k these are near Scarlet prices, I know where I would rather spend the cash.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Sean Lee

Nah, if I really was mental I'd be putting up cash for the $7195 50mm f/2.0 Summicron f/2.0 which was announced on the same day. THAT is madness considering their faster 50mm f/1.4 Summilux is only about half that price.

In reality though I have the much more affordable Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 as a permanent fixture on my M8.2 which I carry everywhere with me. Still photography with the Leica rangefinder has allowed me to have a regular creative outlet. Most of my still photography for the past year and a half has been with this single camera+lens combination.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
johnvid
Native

Nice Images, interesting about the Kodak chip, I wonder if I had the sort of cash needed for this camera would I prefer to just shoot film?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Sean Lee

Thanks John. Film was not an option, my learning curve would've been much much slower. I acquired an interest in still photography when I bought the 7D as a tool to teach myself very basic aspects of cinematography, it helped to have an actual camera in my hands to understand aperture and f-stops, shutter speed, fps, what light looks like through the camera, etc. That kind of led on to the Leica.

If I was to go with film though, I'd get a Hasselblad or a Rolleiflex, something which I've had my eye on lately.

Really wish I could set up the Scarlet to function more like a still photography camera too, single frame shutter release, that kind of thing. I'd be more than happy with the APS-H 5k sensor. But anyway I haven't had a chance to play with my Scarlet yet.