Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Filmmaking Central > Filmmaking - General

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #21
Max Link
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
I agree that the 18-55 is a "cheapo", but never the less good value for the money.
I have to disagree with you on this one... At least if I recognize this lens correctly as the new image stabilized version of the former EOS package lens. (Doesn't the version you linked come with the EOS450D in a bundle?) I've absolutely loathed the old version, the one without IS, and the new one is little better IMO in one very crucial aspect: the focus ring feels... wuuuah. Can't find a way to describe it. Plasticky? Wobbly?
For the same money, you can get rather better feeling, e.g., Sigma lenses, like the Sigma 18-50mm 3,5-5,6... My personal recommendation would be getting your hands on some of the entry level EOS mount lenses on the market at your local photography place and check out what kind of haptics suit you best, Ameer, since what you actually get under your fingers from different manufacturers varies extremely.

Also, while of course it makes absolute sense to buy lenses new, and I agree with Peter that you should stick to zoom lenses for most of your work, you might want to check out Ebay for old fully manual glass. Of course, you'd need a mount adapter ring for anything F- or C/Y-mount, but those are under $20 and you can get absolute top-quality photography primes (Zeiss etc) for under $150 on Ebay in excellent condition, giving you the advantage of fully manual iris control w/out having to use an SLR body for the job.

I've been using old (30+ yrs!) Makinon and Yashica glass on my DSLR (Canon EOS 350D) for several months now, and although those were never top-notch quality, they still work great and give sweet results with an 8MP sensor behing them. Plus, of course, prime apertures exceed almost anything a zoom lens can offer, letting in more light and further reducing your DOF, an effect you're obviously after, what with buying a Letus.
Just check out what ebay can offer you there, if you stick to the lower price regions for a start, you can get experimenting in the field of old 2nd hand prime lenses for under $100, and the results might well be worth the work for you.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #22
Peter Majtan
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Peter Majtan

Max - You make a good point about the "non-canon" lenses (manual or auto). My point was however to recommend best package of Canon lenses for the given budget - as this is what I have been using myself. I would never recommend something I have not owned or at least tried myself. I am in no way trying to say that this is the "BEST LENS PACKAGE EVER" for under $1K - not at all. But it is the best one I can recommend based on my experience. If anyone recommends something "better" - so be it - that is why this thread exists... This is not a "Ask Peter Anything" thread last time I checked...

Scarlet-X Ti Canon mount and Epic-X Ti PL mount complete packages with optics, sound and post available - also with special rates for documentaries and independent feature films...
Old 08-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #23
Max Link
Native

If we always went the ""ask Peter" way, you'd have no time left to get some paid work done, so I suppose it's just as well. =)

I just wanted to support whoever it was pointing out that the 18-55mm IS lens is a bit on the "cheapo" side, because, while the package you've suggested to Ameer is quite sound and yes, you were of course set the task of going for your favourite lens manufacturer once again (no worries there, Canon make some great glass!), it is my opinion that for the same (or slightly less) money you can get a haptically more pleasant lens.
However, since "pleasantness" in that field is a very subjective thing, I can only emphasize the importance of getting your hands on different lenses and finding out what kind of feel you like best(@Ameer). - For me, most of the cheaper Canon glass just doesn't feel comfortable.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #24
jaadgy akanni
Native

Hey Ameer, I have a whole bunch of fairly good lenses and I'm selling 6 of them for $950.

Here's the list:
1) Nikkor 50mm f/2 Ai
2) Nikkor 85mm f/2 Ai
3) Nikkor 100mm f/2 E series
4) NiKon 75-250mm f/3.5 E series
5) Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 Ai
6) Nikkor AF-n 28-85 f/3.5-4.5

Search information on these and make an educated decision. PM me if you're interested.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #25
fde101
Native

Those are Nikon lenses, are they not?

At any rate, personally I have a different reason for choosing Canon lenses. I use Canon DSLR cameras with those lenses. Non-Canon lenses have been known to have compatibility issues with Canon cameras, so I try to keep things "simple" by sticking with brand.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
Pietro Impagliazzo
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro Impagliazzo

Considering the Canon 10-22?

It's not cheap, but boy...
Sweet focal length!

I have to admit I'm a wide angle lover, and I'm not sure if this lens would suit your style that well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_4_5_USM.html

It's EF-S too.

Acintyah khalu ye bhava na tams tarkena yojayet
There's no use arguing over that which is inconceivable

Pietro Impagliazzo
vimeo.com/impa
impagliazzo.500px.com
Old 08-18-2008, 06:35 AM   #27
Ameer Azari
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadgy akanni View Post
Hey Ameer, I have a whole bunch of fairly good lenses and I'm selling 6 of them for $950.

Here's the list:
1) Nikkor 50mm f/2 Ai
2) Nikkor 85mm f/2 Ai
3) Nikkor 100mm f/2 E series
4) NiKon 75-250mm f/3.5 E series
5) Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 Ai
6) Nikkor AF-n 28-85 f/3.5-4.5

Search information on these and make an educated decision. PM me if you're interested.
What condition are they in?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #28
jaadgy akanni
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameer Ally View Post
What condition are they in?

Excellent: clean glass, hardly any scratches on them. When buying used glass make sure the glass is spotless regardless of its outward appearance. I guess I've just stated the obvious...lol
Old 08-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #29
Yannick Hagman
Bronze Member

Speaking of Canon lenses. A good Lens is the Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM (400$ new). I probably will buy it for my photography work, at 1.4 it will be like a dream. There is also a damn cheap EF 50mm 1.8 (~130$ new, hardly can think of how they can make money with it), you probably find the predecessor used (which has a metalplate-connector).
Old 08-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #30
Peter Majtan
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Peter Majtan

Yannick - check this review that compares the 50mm between f/ 1.2 , 1.4 and 1.8:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

I had the 1.4 in the past and it is a great lens with fantastic value. But ever since I got the 1.2 - there is no coming back...

Scarlet-X Ti Canon mount and Epic-X Ti PL mount complete packages with optics, sound and post available - also with special rates for documentaries and independent feature films...