Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Scarlet General Discussion

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
Heatshiver

Lightbulb Scarlet-X 4:4:4 Throughput?

I was looking around at a few items here and there and was thinking if it would be possible to get 4:4:4 quality out of the Scarlet-X through HD-SDI?

I know that it has a 4:2:2 throughput HD-SDI/HDMI, but is it restricted to this subsampling because of hardware, or device availability?

If it could be done, would you be able to use the Sony SR-R1 since it's (I assume) the only 4:4:4 device recorder (not yet available)?

This would be an incredible setup if so.

Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Angus Mackay
Native

To the best of my knowledge the Scarlet only has one SDI out. You need two for 4:4:4. Certainly I think a lot of people will be looking at the likes of Sound Devices for a high quality 4:2:2 option.

Oddly enough, if the Sony F3 was better built and the S log option wasn't so expensive, it would still in many ways be the most compelling proposition (having 4:4:4 log out and great low light performance/ dynamic range). In fact, even with is limitations, I wouldn't lightly dismiss it.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
DrewIGR
Native

Quote:
The camera’s monitoring path converts RAW sensor data to a white balanced 12-bit depth 2048 x 1080 pixel RGB 4:4:4 video signal. This signal may be modified using ISO, White Balance or other RGB color space adjustments as desired by the operator, and is then scaled and gamma corrected to provide VIEWFINDER, HD-SDI and HDMI monitor outputs at 10-bit depth in 4:2:2 Y,Cb,Cr, or at 8-bit depth in 4:4:4 RGB.
From Scarlet-X's manual
Scarlet-X #776 "Peffercorn"
www.andrewscottbaird.com
Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Angus Mackay
Native

Thanks for correcting that Drew. A good option to have.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
DrewIGR
Native

No prob. I don't know how good 8-bit 4:4:4 will be vs 10 or 12 bit... Even Prores 4:4:4:4 supports up to 12-bit depth images.
Scarlet-X #776 "Peffercorn"
www.andrewscottbaird.com
Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
David Rasberry

If you need to go to 12 bit 4:4:4, you are better off shooting raw and converting in post. The 10 bit 4:2:2 out should be great for fast turn video work with an inexpensive outboard digital recorder. But 4k 16 bit raw is certainly preferable for highest quality acquisition if that is what you need. For the added price of an SR-R1 you could almost pay the cost difference for an Epic brain. For the price of an S-log F3 and an SR-R1 you can buy an Epic brain.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
Heatshiver

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Red. Know of it, seen it edited, but haven't had much of a chance to work with it.

I wasn't able to find any prices for SR-R1, but if it's near the price of a Brain, then I think I would just stick to a Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle for now.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of any articles that have tried out the Scarlet with the HyperDeck shuttle? I'm interested to see how the QuickTime files came out.

Thanks again.