Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Build-a-Scarlet

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
jwmallon
Native

Default DSLR configuration. (LCD position)

I'm wanting for my documenatry needs to have as low profile setup as possible and as cheap and barebones as possible. I bounce like many probably do between the Fixed and non-fixed. I am hoping Red comes up with a package deal for the non fixed as its smaller than the fixed for one thing. Either way I was wondering how I can get an LCD monitor attached to the back of the camera flat on or like many DSLR's flip out.

Any ideas from what we know how and if this is possible? Either on the back of the camera or maybe behind the cf module was my initial thoughts about position. But how to attach?

*I dont want to use the redmote or at least I want if I have one to not have it mounted.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
axiomission
Native

If you have actually seen the Scarlet in person, it's actually quite large. These are professional cameras that have amazing capabilities in shooting under/overcranked footage as well as shooting all footage in RAW format.

The non-fixed 2/3 Scarlet is still very big and if you have a side handle and a nice lens to get some great looking images, you're not going to get the discreet look you want. You are actually better off with a smaller DSLR like a T2i or D5000.

The Non-fixed does not factor in the modules you'll need to add onto the body to make it fully functional. You'll need batteries, an external monitor/EVF, you'll need lenses that fit the 2/3 format to avoid considerable cropping. You'll need some level of handheld rig. There are so many things you'll need to make your scarlet will be functional and will last. And I don't see how any configuration will give you a "low profile" look.

They are probably more low profile than your HVX or DVX body. But the HVX sticks out like a sore thumb.

It really depends on what you mean by low-profile as well.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
jwmallon
Native

I respectfully disagree. Judging by footage and photos I have seen so far I think the s35 and the 2/3 interchangable with a cf, handgrip and mini prime has potential to look not much bigger than a large DSLR. The LCD sticking out on top of the camera or on an arm will however start to make it look like a larger camera rig.

Sorry I also dont think the T2i can be compared with a RED produced camera.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
JonFairhurst
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomission View Post
If you have actually seen the Scarlet in person, it's actually quite large...
I saw the prototype at CES, and I would agree that it looks bigger in person than in photos. It doesn't have any one dimension that is truly slim.

It certainly won't be too large for a dedicated camera bag or small pelican case. But if you travel with a soft briefcase with a laptop, papers and a novel, don't expect to slide a Scarlet in there without stress.

The size won't be an issue for dedicated filmmaking, but it won't be small enough that you can casually carry it everywhere you go without a real camera bag or case. Ted carried the prototype at CES in a soft sling bag with open space at the bottom. Personally, I'd want something more secure and padded.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Pietro Impagliazzo
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro Impagliazzo

Also disagree about the modules.

You don't need I/O Pro, Proxy, Batt. module to make it work.

The handle makes it look like a DSLR and gives you power, the side CF gives you recording media. Mount the LCD in a way that it doesn't sticks out on top (we'll figure it out once we have our Scarlets) and it's very discrete, not as portable as a DSLR, but still very discrete.

The only problem is the 2/3" Fixed, if you're going for as discrete as possible, is that the body is longer. Not a problem for me, can't say about the OP.

Acintyah khalu ye bhava na tams tarkena yojayet
There's no use arguing over that which is inconceivable

Pietro Impagliazzo
vimeo.com/impa
impagliazzo.500px.com
Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
jwmallon
Native

If the fixed wasn't so deep it would be perfect for me. Its a shame as the front is so narrow. Honestly I will be attacked for this but I actually liked the look of the original fixed prototypes. Actually with the interchangable I'm more worried that the extremely small lens makes it look strange, in that sense a bigger lens would make it look more in proportion as a large DSLR. But yeah wondering how to mount that LCD to flip out from the back or side. The fixed with its longer body has one advantage in that a mic won't look so strange on it as an interchangable in my opinion.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
David Rasberry

Shooting looking at an LCD on the back hand holding the camera in front of you like a DSLR will be a bear with a Scarlet. There is a big difference doing this with a 1-2lb DSLR and a likely 7lb working weight Scarlet. Bare brain weight alone will be in the 4lb plus range.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
jwmallon
Native

Actually thats a good point David. It first makes me think of how we hold an average sized camcorder with one hand like say a DVX which is normally a horizontal strap rather than vertical grip.(I wonder if a third party will make one) And generally its very doable even with a HVX and a strong arm. Which is a really interesting thought as while the hand grip is probably principally designed to be vertical I wonder if it can be attached along the body? With the fixed this could be a great option as it would fit the longer body of the fixed. I also guess the LCD could be on the the top and be used like a Hasselblad type viewer though, though its not my first choice option.

I think however a DSLR dosn't have to be held in front and the human form can contort into all kinds of positions to hold a camera like the Scarlet, crouching and rested on one knee etc. But still I would like to have an LCD that can flip out on the side or back and hopefully be swivelled as well so in any position the LCD can be facing the operator. This also can help as the body can often act as a human LCD hood. I also think a simple bean bag can be used along with various objects in the field to hold the camera steady. I personally think of documenatry as not strictly run and gun and take time to compose shots as much as possible.

I guess another additional question is are the LCD attachments likely to swivel as well as flip? and if not what can we use to do it.

Last edited by jwmallon; 04-22-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:12 AM   #9
David Rasberry

There will be hardware available that will let you put the LCD wherever you want it. Articulated arms and such.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #10
axiomission
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmallon View Post
I respectfully disagree. Judging by footage and photos I have seen so far I think the s35 and the 2/3 interchangable with a cf, handgrip and mini prime has potential to look not much bigger than a large DSLR. The LCD sticking out on top of the camera or on an arm will however start to make it look like a larger camera rig.

Sorry I also dont think the T2i can be compared with a RED produced camera.
If you have been to RED day, then you'll know exactly what I mean. It is pretty big. S35 will most likely be bigger than the 2/3 interchangeable. And the 2/3 Interchangeable will be an interesting, albeit weird, setup for a DSLR-like rig.

Pietro does have a point that you don't need the modules. But I'm again speaking in the context of what you are asking for. You're not going to get a profile rig as discreet as a handycam.

You'll have a rig that will be as discreet as a D3s. It is pretty big. When I saw the scarlet on photo, I had not realized how much larger it was when I actually had it in my hands.

I'm not comparing T2i's image. I'm talking about what you want: low-profile.