Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Build-a-Scarlet

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
DMS
Native

Default Budget EVF option?

It would be great to have a budget option for a RED EVF that would fit better with Scarlet 2/3" budgets.
I'm sure the "Bomb" EVF is worth its almost 3000 price tag, however, it would be nice if a lesser spec'd / featured EVF could be developped by RED or sold by a third party. With most prosumer videocameras and even m43 photo cameras being sold with very nice hi-rez EVFs, I can't see why a cheaper option couldn't be made to be in line with the entry level Scarlet. I'm sure most people here would agree, but welcome arguments.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Pietro Impagliazzo
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro Impagliazzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS View Post
I can't see why a cheaper option couldn't be made to be in line with the entry level Scarlet.
Well... I guess the RED EVF is already pretty budget for the EVF standard, right?

Cramming 720p into a tiny device doesn't sound easy to do in a budget.

But perhaps it could be lower res and even based on the 2.8" LCD.

Aren't you fond of the viewbox options? The 2.8" with a viewbox device could become a pretty decent budget EVF.

Acintyah khalu ye bhava na tams tarkena yojayet
There's no use arguing over that which is inconceivable

Pietro Impagliazzo
vimeo.com/impa
impagliazzo.500px.com
Old 04-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
David Rasberry

I think the budget option will be the 2.8" LCD fitted with a Zacuto Z-finder. About $1300 or so for the pair. I may take this path myself.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Phil999
Native

would you guys recommend me to get a Z-Finder for my D5000, which I can later use with my Scarlet? The D5000 LCD is 2.7", and the smallest Scarlet LCD is 2.8", so the Z-Finder should work for both cameras I guess.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Tim Hole
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil999 View Post
would you guys recommend me to get a Z-Finder for my D5000, which I can later use with my Scarlet? The D5000 LCD is 2.7", and the smallest Scarlet LCD is 2.8", so the Z-Finder should work for both cameras I guess.
Its on my list so it betta do!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Tze Heen
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
I think the budget option will be the 2.8" LCD fitted with a Zacuto Z-finder. About $1300 or so for the pair. I may take this path myself.
Good Point David. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
Phil999
Native

I have it now, and it . . . works. You really need a good eye to focus with a 2.7" LCD, and a lot of exercise. I still use the autofocus often, and the zoom option in the D5000 to get a reliable focus. But for framing and watch the scene during recording it is very good. Also for handheld with a 'tactical shooter' or shoulder rig it is very useful.

For me, the Z-Finder is always attached (I only shoot video with the D5000, I don't take photographs). I can shoot in sunlight and see everything quite clear. But for serious work, fast work, one must have a bigger LCD or an EVF. I can also think of an ipad-like solution that is battery powered.

Anyway, I realized that I often don't go out with the D5000 rig alone; I mostly take a netbook with me. Just to check out the latest shot (the 1024x600 pixel display reveals a bit more than the camera LCD) or to empty the SD-card when it is full. For an Indie-lowcost work it makes sense to implement the multitouch-tablet-mini-computer in the rig as monitor, playback device and card reader.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
c.sadoway

threw the HDMI you could take a look at the Red-rock micro EVF, its not out yet but will be soon, its estimated to be around $595, so a heck of a lot cheaper than red, but im not able to comment on the quality in comparison to the Red bomb EVF, but i really do believe you get what you pay for. just my 2 cents

http://store.redrockmicro.com/EVF

and a vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZdzIpiBz1o
Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
J Davis
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
doesn't the zacuto stick on somehow? it's a touchscreen, how will that work?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
David Rasberry

Here is another low cost EVF option just released. This one is much to my liking.

http://www.cineroid.com/web/eng_pro01