Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Build-a-Scarlet

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
TaintedYouth
Native

Default SSD Module

will RED be making their own 1.8" ssd cards or can any card be used... I know red only recommends using their CF cards, so I was wondering when the time came if it was going to be the same idea with the 1.8" SSD... also can any hard drive be used to record right on to, i.e. My Raid G Drive, or will the scarlet only recognize the RED-RAM or RED-DRIVE
Old 02-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
David Rasberry

We don't know at this point. What has been said is the SSD cartridge that plugs into the module will be proprietary. This is to insure reliable connections for repeated insertion and removal. It won't accept an off the shelf SSD drive without the cartridge.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Tim Hole
Native

Which makes complete sense for standarisation and QC. Keep that data safe!! Regardless of which if you can stick with RED. They have been designed to take a pounding from high data rates - As with the CF Cards.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
sbcooler
Native

What size do you all think the 1.8" RED SSD will be...128GB or 256GB or bigger? I am a run and gunner, so I'd like to know I can shoot at least 1 hour and preferably 2 hours on a single cartridge...if possible.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Scott C
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
We don't know at this point. What has been said is the SSD cartridge that plugs into the module will be proprietary. This is to insure reliable connections for repeated insertion and removal. It won't accept an off the shelf SSD drive without the cartridge.
So if we bought a cartridge and an appropriately spec'd SSD we might be able to use that instead?

Reason I ask is I've seen this story recently:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/20/o...ctane-s2-ssds/

at sizes up to 1TB at 1.30/gigabyte that's around $1300 for 1TB of storage that seemingly could meet speed requirements. A pretty good deal, it looks like, if it would be a viable alternative. I could obviously be missing something here though, all of the different parameters involved with SSDs are a bit over my head.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Tim Hole
Native

The REDMAGs are a different shape to fit into the SSD module. Don't know that they would fit. Reliability is the most important thing with companies like RED.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Scott C
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hole View Post
The REDMAGs are a different shape to fit into the SSD module. Don't know that they would fit. Reliability is the most important thing with companies like RED.
Gotcha. Thanks for the insight Tim.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Ryan Farnes
Native

Sort of like P2 or SxS I suppose. Force a premium to protect the company and the shooters?

Sucks, but I understand the reasoning.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Luis Caffesse
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcooler View Post
What size do you all think the 1.8" RED SSD will be...128GB or 256GB or bigger? I am a run and gunner, so I'd like to know I can shoot at least 1 hour and preferably 2 hours on a single cartridge...if possible.
http://www.red.com/store/media

They sell 64, 128 and 256GB REDMAG SSD

Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
johnvid
Native

I understand the need to protect your data, & Red's Rep, but if it can't take 3rd party media to do some kind of shooting, then the obsolescence obsolete might as well go the way of the 3k price tag.

It would be too short sighted not too, and ethically incompatible with the vision, or maybe its just what I thought it would be able to do?

I was expecting a camera that could shoot with many different data rate requirements, if they needed a proprietory connector, then an extension/converter cable should be available so people with less cash can shoot something, all day long if needed,

Thats 240GB for 360 Read 555MB/s, Write 525MB/s, 85K IOPS
Surely its good enough for something, can it be used?

I would expect that by the time I need a bag of these, they will be even cheaper.

Last edited by johnvid; 11-01-2011 at 01:49 PM.