Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Build-a-Scarlet

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Tim Hole
Native

Default Scarlet Package Import Duty and VAT

I posted this on REDUSER too but thought would post her to see what anyone thinks.

The Import Duty and the VAT shipping into the UK is starting to worry me a little. I have a finite amount of money to spend on Scarlet and a new workstation but it seems to me that the one thing that is going to cost is the small LCD screen which would be 14% Duty. The camera would be probably 6%. If it is a package do people reckon it would be classed as one item? Or could we separate the items.

With Duty at 14% and the VAT at 17.5% that means I am paying 1/3 of the cameras price to get it into the country. I know some other countries are worse still on import but can anything be done? I know RED haven't stated as yet if it will all be straight from base or whether they are allowing companies to stock the camera - that would then be worse because of mark up from the intermediary company...
Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
sidderke
Native

I have been thinking about VAT and Duties to a lot. I don't have a budget for any of RED cam's now, but maybe a Scarlet could become a possibility in the future (I have been following RED and supporting them since Jim Jannard made his first post on DVinfo at that time about 'a new camera').

I think RED should just have to offer a store in Europe - I live in Belgium btw, so we have 21% VAT here. They have a service center in the UK, but they should try to make it possible for them to also sell equipment at euro prices. If I'm not mistaken, but I don't know the specifics, there are flexible rules about transmission of goods within the European Union.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
johnvid
Native

I wonder if it was sold in modular units, then it wouldn't be a camera, it might with enough creativity fall under a different electronic category.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Granty
Bronze Member

I don't think we have much options both legally and illegally to get around import duty and vat, even if RED setup a store in Europe they we still pay duty and vat, reclaim the vat and pass it on to the customer at a higher percentage of the sale. you can kindly as RED to mark your $4k camera as 35 gift, I can't see them happy with that one as it isn't too illegal, not possible to insure the goods for full value.

The other illegal method is paying some money for a weekend in the state and picking up a camera there, ditching the package getting the camera bag and shooting lots of footage just to look touristy, one upon a time you could also claim the tax back that you paid on US goods. yet legally you don't pay on the 1st 350, if even if you do declare it then you get a holiday for free ever way.

But we all need to pay as much tax and duty so we can to keep rich bankers well fed.

Last edited by Granty; 09-14-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
johnvid
Native

It is un-ethical to pay tax anymore, considering the mis-management of the funds & waste.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
sidderke
Native

I don't think it's about avoiding to pay taxes.

The reason why I'm asking for a store in Europe, is because it's much more transparant how much you will pay. If I can go to the RED Store on their website, the European version (I don't know how this could be arranged practically) and I have a price in euros with VAT and shipping included, It gives a much more transparant view on how much the end package will cost me. Now it's just more of a 'guessing system'. And with the possible prices included, it's just... difficult.

Last edited by sidderke; 09-15-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Granty
Bronze Member

But it is fairly transparent anyway, just if they had a a European store then it would be completely transparent and more expensive. At 30% Duty and tax on a $5-10k bit of kit that is $1.5-3k extra on something many would look to avoid.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
johnvid
Native

Better to have a nice holiday, and do what Granty say's, than be takxed again on your earnings that you have probably already paid tax on.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
sidderke
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granty View Post
But it is fairly transparent anyway...
There have been threads that are pages and pages long about duties on the RED, and you got to hear many different explenations so I would say it isn't as transparant and easy as you say. Sometimes they consider it this, sometimes that, ... If I buy a DVD on play.com (UK, I live in Belgium) I just get a final price in euros that is including shipping and I know I won't be getting any duties.

I don't mind having to pay the shipping costs extra or depending on the country, but not knowing how much price gets added from a thing from the US in terms of import duty, because no one never knows how they will account it for, is just awful. I rather pay 1 or 2k extra that I can prepare for, than not knowing if I will have to pay 0k or 4k extra.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
johnvid
Native

It's a Video Camera, as long as it doesn't get listed by the Tax ppl, as the a camera that should cost 20k, or a camera likely to appreciate in value?