Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Workflow

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Uwmopic

Default System Question

I'm new to this forum, not overly computer literate, and eagerly looking forward to Scarlet. Seems like it will be a lot like shooting with a film camera (which I miss) rather than a camcorder.

My big question right now is, "will my editing system support 3k video?". I've been reading the threads, but it's still a little murky to me.

I'm presently using (and I had to look all this up) an iMac, OS 10.6, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 667 SDRAM, 250 GB internal and 3 TB external hard drives, editing in Final Cut Pro 7.0.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Anthocl

I think a 2GHz C2D isnt enought for 3K ... you need at least a quad core if you want it to be somewhat manageable. Again i'll let the experienced members give you a better answer .
Old 12-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Uwmopic

Thanks. My big concern is that I can afford the camera, but not camera and a new computer system at the same time.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Phil999
Native

the question is more about speed. It is even possible to edit 4K r3d-files with a netbook. So it will surely work with your current computer. Just add some internal hard-disks, and upgrade the computer in a year or two.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Granty
Bronze Member

I think this is a large factor that will count many people out, spend $5k on a nice new camera and then need $1.5-2k on a system to edit and harddrives for backup.

The best solution is maybe build a Phenom II quad system just for that edit, you can spec these up cheap, you you can setup a good proxy file workflow on the core 2 setup.

But I wouldn't rule the specs out just yet, depending on motherboard, Hard drive and memory, you may just squeeze a real-time 2-3k edit out.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Ameer Azari
Native

I'm just gonna go ahead, get a Scarlet...and try to work something out on the iMac I'm currently using: 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB (2x2GB) 667 DDR2 SDRAM

500 GB Hard drive...

Which is probably a really stupid plan...but hey, I've done worse and gotten away with it...like not revising for my A-Levels...that nearly turned out badly...nearly...
Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
David Rasberry

With FCP and low res proxies, editing with the dual core CPU'S shouldn't be too awful. Rendering to final output format from the original files may be pretty slow. Main thing is that you will need Terabytes of storage space to handle the file sizes for a lot of footage. Think about adding some sort of external RAID 5 array thru FW800 or Gigabit Ethernet interface.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
dmpsk8
Native

do you need to work in 3k. I can tell you i don't plan using a full 3k start to finish workflow very often. It's just not cost effective for all projects.

shooter.editor.thinker.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Uwmopic

Thanks for the info, it helps with my decision. And, though I hadn't thought of it, Kevin's right, I won't need 3K for everything, so, that helps also. Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
David Rasberry

You can always pick your shots from originals and render out of Redcine or Redrushes to Prores then edit in Prores, or shoot the scaled 1080P mode if finish is for HD anyway.