Scarletuser.com
 

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Scarlet General Discussion > Scarlet FIXED Lens System Discussion

 
 
Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
NChaparro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
Default Help~! (Red Gear Primer)

Hey guys, I'm new to "RED" and would appreciate, (forgive how annoying this is) if someone could explain what each part of the scarlet does (example: EV bomb). Could someone tell me what the bare bones minimum scarlet cinema would cost?
NChaparro is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Tim Hole
Native
 
Tim Hole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United Kingdom; Poland; Norway
Posts: 2,135
Default

I will give you a quick starter and then I suggest you spend a week trawling through the two forums...with a stiff drink!!

BOMBEVF is the viewfinder than can be attached pretty much anywhere on the camera.
REDMOTE is a detachable control panel (wireless) for the camera, REDMOTE Pro has a follow focus system attached.
SIDE CF Module is a media reading attachment for using Compact Flash Cards
SIDEHANDLE is part of the stills set up but has a battery included in the module, it allows for a stills camera form, and includes most if not all of the functionality of the REDMOTE.
MATTEBOX is a clip on mattebox (77mm) with two compartments for filters.
BOTTOM HANDLE is another form factor add on that also includes another RUN/STOP button.
BASEPLATES allow for attachment to rigs and other RED/3rd party goodies.
MODULE ADAPTOR allows for modules to fit to the Scarlet as the EPIC is a bigger body (all accessories are interchangeable with all models).
BASE I/O and PRO I/O is for audio and other output attachments.
1.8" SSD is anther type of storage media using Solid State Drive Technology.
LCD touchscreen monitor of varying sizes.

Scarlet Brain is literally a sensor in a box, it holds all the tech of the camera but as the RED system is designed around modularity you are required to get the bits you need to make it run.

Basically you need: A brain, a side CF module, battery module/side handle, EVF/LCD for viewing. If you buy the fixed kit it has everything you need (apart from CF cards) to make it run and record)
__________________
You can't fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal - William S. Burroughs
Tim Hole is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
NChaparro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Thank you so much! This gives me a start.
NChaparro is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Bryan_Lawler
Native
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Along with learning more about the two Scarlets 2/3. Do you know the lens range of the fixed lens? How will it compare to using the mini primes? Is there a crop factor with using the mini primes? Is the 50mm the same as a 50mm on a film camera? Is the main difference between these two - 1) the ability to switch lens 2) customize the look 3) the price?

thanks,

Bryan
Bryan_Lawler is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Jerrod Cordell
Native
 
Jerrod Cordell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cape Canaveral, FL
Posts: 986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Lawler View Post
Along with learning more about the two Scarlets 2/3. Do you know the lens range of the fixed lens? How will it compare to using the mini primes? Is there a crop factor with using the mini primes? Is the 50mm the same as a 50mm on a film camera? Is the main difference between these two - 1) the ability to switch lens 2) customize the look 3) the price?

thanks,

Bryan
We don't know the lens range of the fixed lens Scarlet yet, but I'm sure they'll release it soon. The mini-Primes will be a lot faster and allow shallower DOF, but the fixed zoom will also provide a very nice image.

The 50mm mini-Prime would have the same FOV as a 125mm on a 35mm camera. If you want to know the 35mm equivalent of any of the lenses, just multiply it by 2.5 (not 100% accurate, but pretty close)

The main difference between the two is the price and the ability to switch lenses. You can trick out the Fixed Scarlet to look as professional as you want, you just won't be able to switch the lenses.
__________________
Jerrod Cordell
Angry Leprechaun Productions

Watch my shit!
vimeo.com/angryleprechaun
http://www.poptent.net/user/AngryLeprechaun
Jerrod Cordell is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
Bryan_Lawler
Native
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks Jerrod. That really helps. I'm thinking the fixed lens is the way to go.
Bryan_Lawler is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
J Davis
Native
 
J Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Cordell View Post
We don't know the lens range of the fixed lens Scarlet yet, but I'm sure they'll release it soon. The mini-Primes will be a lot faster and allow shallower DOF, but the fixed zoom will also provide a very nice image.

The 50mm mini-Prime would have the same FOV as a 125mm on a 35mm camera. If you want to know the 35mm equivalent of any of the lenses, just multiply it by 2.5 (not 100% accurate, but pretty close)

The main difference between the two is the price and the ability to switch lenses. You can trick out the Fixed Scarlet to look as professional as you want, you just won't be able to switch the lenses.

For FOV I'm using David's multiplier of 3.75 to go from scarlet 2/3 to Full frame 35mm
so 50mm miniprime would be the equiv of 187.5 mm on full frame

for scarlet 2/3 to scarlet s35 I'm using a 2.45 multiplier (close to your quoted 2.5)

so 50mm nini prime is equiv to 122.5 mm on s35
__________________
J.Davis
jdMAX.com
J Davis is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
Jerrod Cordell
Native
 
Jerrod Cordell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cape Canaveral, FL
Posts: 986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
For FOV I'm using David's multiplier of 3.75 to go from scarlet 2/3 to Full frame 35mm
so 50mm miniprime would be the equiv of 187.5 mm on full frame

for scarlet 2/3 to scarlet s35 I'm using a 2.45 multiplier (close to your quoted 2.5)

so 50mm nini prime is equiv to 122.5 mm on s35
So compared to S35 Primes, the mini-Primes would be

14.7mm
19.6mm
39.2mm
61.25mm
122.5mm

And compared to FF35 Still Lenses

22.5mm
30mm
60mm
93.75mm
187.5mm
__________________
Jerrod Cordell
Angry Leprechaun Productions

Watch my shit!
vimeo.com/angryleprechaun
http://www.poptent.net/user/AngryLeprechaun
Jerrod Cordell is offline  
Old 12-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
JonFairhurst
Native
 
JonFairhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Cordell View Post
...And compared to FF35 Still Lenses

22.5mm
30mm
60mm
93.75mm
187.5mm
That's a sweet range. For the 5D2, I have a 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 200mm. (I also have a 100mm macro, but I go to the 85mm if I don't need close focus.) I plan to add an ultrawide and a 2x extender before too long...

For narrative, the 28, 50, and 85 cover things nicely, from wide to a comfortable two-shot. You can step in with the 85 for a moderate closeup.

The 28mm can get most establishing shots, but not if you're on a narrow street looking at a tall building - or if you want a really sweeping panorama. The jump from 85 to 200 is a bit big, but can be managed by stepping up withe the 85 and back with the 200. Anything beyond 200 is for special effects (the sheriff in dust and heat waves) or wildlife. Besides, you could get crazy long stuff with 35mm still lenses.

Anyway, the middle three mini primes would cover everything one needs for a basic narrative shoot. FWIW, virtually every episode of the old TV show, Marcus Welby M.D., was shot with only three lenses: "1/2-, 1- and 2- inches" - virtually the same ratio offered by the middle three mini primes.
__________________
Jon Fairhurst
~ The Murder of Dirk Snowglobe ~
JonFairhurst is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Landmine Media, Inc.