Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Scarlet General Discussion > Scarlet FIXED Lens System Discussion

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
PostPirate
Native

Default That "Shallow DOF"-Question again ...

First Post. Hi there everybody.

I'm an Indy-Filmmaker and VFX-Guerilla and until now I shot all my stuff on the Canon HV30 with a handy35 dof-adapter and the nice fast Nikon-Glasses I used on my old SLR-Cam ...

I did a few Music Videos on the RED One and got sucked into this RED-ness right away. Until now i just didn't have the money to buy a RED-Camera. But with the Scarlet Fixed Lens System Kit for around 4000 bucks it's suddenly in my Range of budget.

I guess the scarlet's performance and picture-quality will kill my HV30 without a sweat. And all the Problems i had with keying and grading the crappy-compressed HV30 footage will be gone (innit?)

I was just wondering if the Fixed Scarlet could hold up against the cool shallow DOF i get with my DOF-adapter and my nikon glasses ...

any speculations ?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
David Gray
Native

Send a message via AIM to David Gray Send a message via MSN to David Gray

Hey Postpirate.

Think I recognise the name from over at fxphd?

The Scarlet will definitely be much much much easier to key and grade than your hv30 material. Which only samples colour half as much as luminance.

Your DoF adapater will have an similar DoF to the s35.

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something." Thomas H. Huxley

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." - Alfred Hitchcock
Old 09-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
PostPirate
Native

... he he ... yeah ... i thought i've seen this avatar somewhere as i browsed the threads in here ... he he, of course: fxphd reprezent! ... thanx for the info, Gravy ... but i'll probably not have enough cash to get an S35-Brain ...
I'll go for the Fixed Scarlet Kit ... and i guess that the 2/3" chip and the fixed lens on the Scarlet will have some other DOF-Behaviour than my DOF-Adapter, innit? Will a Scarlet with a fixed lens produce decent shallow DOF ?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Sage Pictures
Native

The fixed will produce 'decent' shallow dof, yes. If you saw public enemies, benjamin button, or zodiac, thats it. In a nutshell, its the amount of dof that 35mm would typically stop down (and loose light) to get manageability at. But there is a whole range of extreme shallow shots that won't be so easy to get.

To get a really good feeling for it, take a dslr with f5.6 zoom and take pictures at many focal lengths. When fully zoomed in, you can get the appearance of very shallow dof that encompasses a standing human body. But the image will look flatter.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
David Gray
Native

Send a message via AIM to David Gray Send a message via MSN to David Gray

http://www.panavision.co.nz/main/kba...alcFOVform.asp

Here is an DoF Calculator choose 2/3" from the drop down and you'll get near enough the right results.

Also I recommend picking up the ASC Manual it has DoF charts for the most common focal lengths.

To answer your question simply though:
Yes, you can get shallow DoF with the 2/3".

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something." Thomas H. Huxley

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." - Alfred Hitchcock
Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
PostPirate
Native

thanx a heep! ... made the dslr trick sage recommended and noodled around with the calculator ... looks like its enough shallow DOF for my taste ... think I'm not the only one screamin': Yo RED, bring that Scarlet on, can't wait to get my handz on it ... he he he ... Feels like back in the days, countin' those days until Xmas ...
Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
JonFairhurst
Native

DOF calculators can be misleading. They tell you how deep the in-focus area is, but they don't give you a feel for how blurred the out of focus areas are. Is the background only slightly out of focus, or is it mush?

On one recent shot, we used a DOF calculator and stopped down slightly to make 100% sure that all of the actors in focus. This was with a 28mm lens on a FF35 camera. The result? Infinity was pretty much in 100% focus too. We would have been better off with our gut-feel setting.

To get an idea of the DOF for 2/3 Scarlet, look at most any live broadcast content (at least in the US). This includes network news, sporting events, concerts and so on. Daytime stuff will have a small aperture. A night-time event will show shallower DOF. If it's a football game, keep track of wide vs. telephoto shots. Few narrative works use anything close to a long sports telephoto.

The bottom line is that you can get shallow DOF, but you have to design your shots for it. Anything wide, stopped down, or with the subject near the background will have deep focus. A long, macro shot wide open will have very shallow focus - even with a 2/3" sensor.

If you really want shallow DOF, 2/3" shouldn't be your first choice, but if you're creative, you can often create that look anyway, just not with as wide a range of shots.