Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Glass > 2/3" Lenses

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
poof
Bronze Member

Default Fujinon, Navitar, Edmund, Computar, Pentax, any of these sound familiar?

I did a little research and found these companies to still be producing 2/3" c-mount primes in 8-75mm sizes, but im not familar with any of them besides fujinon, can anyone vouch for the quality of their lenses? For your convenience:

Fujinon

Navitar

Edmund

Pentax

Computar
Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
holy_handgrenade
Native

Send a message via AIM to holy_handgrenade

These are all industrial/cctv lenses. They may "work" but they wont produce the results you're looking for.

When looking/researching, based on several other threads on this board, you'll want to avoid the words TV, CCTV, Industrial, Machine as these all indicate that they are for security cameras. They are primarily meant for standard definition NTSC and wont have the resolving power to actually deliver a clear or sharp picture for even HD output.

I'm sure others will chime in with more tech, or correct me if I'm misunderstanding something though

Last edited by holy_handgrenade; 03-24-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Peter Mosiman
Native

Send a message via AIM to Peter Mosiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_handgrenade View Post
These are all industrial/cctv lenses. They may "work" but they wont produce the results you're looking for.

When looking/researching, based on several other threads on this board, you'll want to avoid the words TV, CCTV, Industrial, Machine as these all indicate that they are for security cameras. They are primarily meant for standard definition NTSC and wont have the resolving power to actually deliver a clear or sharp picture for even HD output.

I'm sure others will chime in with more tech, or correct me if I'm misunderstanding something though
holy is quite right.
there are plenty of threads already on this topic. check the lenses subforum.

Gaffers Unite! - A blog dedicated to lighting/rigging techniques.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Kyle Presley
Native

The 5 megapixel fujinon lenses should be perfect.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
poof
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle.presley View Post
The 5 megapixel fujinon lenses should be perfect.
Well, this is why i asked, because many of them are touting 5mp resolutions, which should be more than enough, but ive had no firsthand experience with any of them besides fujinon. I did a price check on them and computar and pentax both produce sub-$100 lenses, which makes me suspect their quality, however navitar and edmund are priced similarly to fujinon.

So has anyone ever used navitar or edmund lenses before?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
David Gray
Native

Send a message via AIM to David Gray Send a message via MSN to David Gray

Well have you ever seen an image from a cctv camera and gone wow that looks crisp.

A lot of CCTV camera lenses are also designed to let in a lot of infra red light to see as much spectrum as possible. This is the opposite of what you need for cine lenses, red has an infrared filter for a reason.

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something." Thomas H. Huxley

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." - Alfred Hitchcock
Old 03-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Kyle Presley
Native

screw in an IR cut filter. The edmund lenses have filter threads.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
poof
Bronze Member

It looks crisp in the movies when they go: "zoom in 200%, pan left, ok zoom in another 200%, ok now enhance"

ok, so i guess the answer to my question is no? Well, FYi, there is a difference between MVC's and CCTV's. Perhaps IR receptivity is true for CCTV's, but theres no practical reason MVC lenses would have different frequency attenuation's than cine lenses.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
holy_handgrenade
Native

Send a message via AIM to holy_handgrenade

Well, if you can find some cheap feel free to experiment with them. They may even offer a relatively cool look to them for special circumstances.

If you're looking for cheap quality lenses though, look for 16mm cine lenses, lenses made for Bolex and other 16mm film cameras.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
David Rasberry

The top line 5MP machine vision lenses are very good optically. Add Schneider to the list too. You have to be careful to get the right models. Many machine vision lenses don't provide manual iris adjusment, like some automated still camera lenses. They are not necessarily cheap either, starting around $700 for decent primes. I priced a 10-100 Schneider zoom and it was $3500. Probably a very decent lens though and they made a full servo control version for about $7k. Out of production though.