Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > News > ScarletUser News

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Jacob Mason
Native

Default New BI "back illuminated" CMOS sensors

So far, Sony appears to have echoed Omnivision's innovation with another Back-side Illuminated sensor design of their own.
Link-> Sony Press Release

Quote:
The newly developed CMOS image sensor achieves a signal-to-noise ratio of +8dB(+6dB sensitivity, -2dB noise) in comparison to existing Sony CMOS image sensors of the same pixel size. Sony will apply this back-illuminated CMOS technology in consumer digital video camcorders and digital still cameras to deliver an even higher quality image experience.

I thought it would be interesting if RED's new CMOS sensors incorporated this type of technology.

via Engadget <-Link
Old 06-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Fergus Anderson
Native

I saw this too - more interetiing is that its 5 megapixel at 60fps

I am sure that the design of the mysterium X is already locked down though
Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
Ayoji
Native

Would outside daylight shots be overexposed?
Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Jacob Mason
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayoji View Post
Would outside daylight shots be overexposed?
Initially, I would say no.
Because I believe the the process is intended to directly assist in low light situations and should have no effect on shooting in well lit areas.

However, I'm not sure if this new sensor design would be as accomodating to the demands of a high contrast scene that contains elements in both bright light and dark shadows at the same time. As this would really reflect an improvement in dynamic range, and I don't think that's what the back-illumination is designed to do.
CORRECTION: Indeed, the new sensor is also designed to improve dynamic range.
Quote:
Furthermore, the back-illuminated structure also expands device potential in areas such as speed and dynamic range by enabling multiple metal wiring layers and greater flexibility in the transistor structure.
Another observation I've made based on the little example Sony's provided is that the back-illumination process appears to have dissolved some of the detail and contrast while also diluting the colors. Although, those things should be easily corrected in post, and are sacrifices I'd be willing to make to get a clean image in low light.

Last edited by Jacob Mason; 06-12-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Correction to statement regarding dynamic range.