Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Scarlet General Discussion > Scarlet FIXED Lens System Discussion

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Jeffrey Loewe
Native

Default Action Sports Filmer, Which Setup is right?

Hi everyone, i've read alot of these threads, and they've been very helpful! And I'm new so i'm sorry if I bring up any old points that have been answered, I just couldn't find the answers in reading everything.

So I'm a filmer at a Ski Film company, and I've worked with the Sony Ex1's and Fx1's mostly. Spent all of last year shooting on the HVX200, so thats what i really know to the time being.

I'm looking to get a shallower DOF than provided by all of those cameras. My filming usually has to involve quick zoom in's and outs due to conditions changing or the skier changing position. Looking at the Fixed Lens version though I'm a little worried about the zooming, or should I be?

Also for some things I need to have a decently tight shot or beable to be pretty zoomed in since I'll have to film at distances for safety reasons. Will the Fixed Lens Version allow me to shoot as tight as any of the above mentioned cameras?

Also High frame rates are a must.

Basically I'm operating on a budget allowing me to spend probably 5-6,000 on this camera for next season. My basic question, beyond video quality obviously being better, and with more options for frame rates, will I beable to shoot with the lens on the Fixed Lens version, and will there some sort of zoom feature while filming to allow me to keep at a lower budget and get the higher frame rates?

What would you say the lens on this camera will be similar to in the market right now, if none of the ones i've mentioned above?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
David Gray
Native

Send a message via AIM to David Gray Send a message via MSN to David Gray

Hey electricjib,

I'm also into snowsports hoping to do a season with my mates and make a video. Also planning on shooting scarlet. You work for any of the big film company's?

We don't know the actual measurements for the scarlet lens as yet apart from it's range; which is 8x. So it will have less range than what you're use to. Though you can get tele converts to go on most lenses, as well as wide angles which you're probably already familiar with.

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something." Thomas H. Huxley

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." - Alfred Hitchcock
Old 02-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Jeffrey Loewe
Native

Yeah!

I worked at Poor Boyz Productions a bit last year. This year Level 1 Productions.

I'm familiar with all of those, just trying to get a real gauge on this camera before putting anything into it.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
David Gray
Native

Send a message via AIM to David Gray Send a message via MSN to David Gray

Ah that's awesome man, sorry to hijack this thread to a more personal thing but just wondering. Do you stay somewhere a season or you move around with the production?

Sadly I guess we're going to have to wait till the camera comes out to see how well it really fairs up.
Guessing some stuff might have to think about is the modularity and how well it will hold up to shock, spesh if traveling over jumps etc. Though not needing sound etc means on the fixed lens should be a single unit.

You could always looked at an interchangeable body. Guessing from your background you might know a few 16mm shooters who could have some lens' for sale or recommendations.

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something." Thomas H. Huxley

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." - Alfred Hitchcock
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
gshort
Native

electricjib, Im in a similar position to you in that I mainly film BMX. I know some of our requirements for Scarlet will be different but Im sure we will have many that are the same. Im going fixed lens Scarlet for sure. I dont know about you but I need to know I can set up and break down in a hurry. I also do not need the hassle of extra lenses and all the associated 'buts' Ill need with them. I think other than a fish eye I wont really need any lenses.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
Jeffrey Loewe
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
Ah that's awesome man, sorry to hijack this thread to a more personal thing but just wondering. Do you stay somewhere a season or you move around with the production?

Sadly I guess we're going to have to wait till the camera comes out to see how well it really fairs up.
Guessing some stuff might have to think about is the modularity and how well it will hold up to shock, spesh if traveling over jumps etc. Though not needing sound etc means on the fixed lens should be a single unit.

You could always looked at an interchangeable body. Guessing from your background you might know a few 16mm shooters who could have some lens' for sale or recommendations.

I so far have been pretty locked down in Denver this season, and have an apartment there, and only have gone to X games so far. The year before I was all over the place and bounced around on couches.

Interchangable would be rad, but won't have the scrilla for that one!