Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Scarlet General Discussion > Scarlet FIXED Lens System Discussion

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Jerrod Cordell
Native

Default The Big Question: The Lens

One of the biggest concerns with Scarlet 1.0 was the functionality of the lens. Everyone was concerned because Scarlet only had a focus ring in the front and then an unknown "User" ring in the back. I, like some others, assumed the ring in the back would be programmable and switchable with the User 1, 2, 3, and 4 buttons.

Old Scarlet Back

But now, that "User" ring is gone, and so far I only see one lens ring.

New Scarlet Front, Only the one focus ring

I think it would still be nice to have a focus, zoom, and iris ring in the front. Just like the rest of their lenses. I just think only having a focus ring, and a rocker zoom wouldn't give it a very professional feel.

Watch my shit!
vimeo.com/angryleprechaun
http://www.poptent.net/user/AngryLeprechaun

Last edited by Jerrod Cordell; 12-15-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Bryan Arnold
Native

Maybe it's the best way to keep the price of Scarlet FL down. In any case I'd rather have a focus ring than a zoomring if I had to choose.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
fde101
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Arnold View Post
In any case I'd rather have a focus ring than a zoomring if I had to choose.
Definitely.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
David Rasberry

The most common professional broadcast lenses have servo zoom, electronic iris control. whether manual or automatic, and manual focus.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Jerrod Cordell
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Arnold View Post
Maybe it's the best way to keep the price of Scarlet FL down. In any case I'd rather have a focus ring than a zoomring if I had to choose.
Well that's a given.

But a zoom ring in addition to the focus ring would be very important. Every camera in Scarlet's price range has a zoom ring. The A1, HVX, EX1. If they can deliver 3K for 3K, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to throw in a focus, zoom, and possibly an iris ring.

Watch my shit!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
fde101
Native

Having the zoom ring (in addition to the focus ring, not instead of) would be VERY nice. Having the iris ring would be yeh, nice, but not quite as important as the zoom, and definitely not as important as the focus ring.

If RED can add the zoom ring (assuming they have not already done so), wonderful.

If not, it won't sway me from buying the fixed-zoom model, at least not on its own.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Stu Mannion
Native

It's hard to make a focus ring that works in both auto and manual modes well. The Ex1 has done a great job of it. Many of the others have those free spinning servo controlled rings that are then no good for follow focus units. Hope full Red can come up with something more like the former. As for a zoom ring, a switchable, servo-driven mechanical one would be awesome.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Mister Stocks
Native

They probably have the red-mote taking care of those functions. As long as they make it intuitive, I don't really mind. Looks like the smarthandle will have controls as well to take care of Iris and whatnot
Old 12-16-2008, 03:23 AM   #9
fde101
Native

As to the focus ring, Canon seems to do a good job of keeping the manual and auto focus capabilities intact on their EF lenses -- the mechanics behind it -- even if the manual focus may not be quite as sensitive/smooth as cine glass (or so I take it from the forums); improving the manual focus quality wouldn't neccessarily rule out using a similar technique to add autofocus to a true manual focus ring, would it?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
Jerrod Cordell
Native

I don't have any doubt that Red will provide an awesome MF/AF ring. I think they said it before that it'll perform better than the EX1's ring. Also, they're jumping into the DSLR world too, so I'm sure they are going to take the same innovations in their FF35 AF glass into the Scarlet fixed lens.

Watch my shit!