Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Scarlet General Discussion > Scarlet FIXED Lens System Discussion

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
snuftr
Native

Default 35mm Adapter with 2/3" Scarlet.

A good friend has got an M2 converter from redrockmicro and I can use it if I ask him to.
I know there have already been a lot of discussions about Scarlet and DOF and these converters.

But I think my question is a little bit more specific than the ones we already had:

Should I use (in the case that I wan't to have more DOF) the 35mm converter together with the Scarlet 2/3" (fixed or with interchangeable)? I have never worked with a 35mm converter so this question appeared to me.

I think buying a converter wouldn't be useful as many of you stated in the discussions months ago. But what about using it when I got one in range?

Regards
Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Sichlau
Native

I'm actually quite currious concerning the possibilities of using a 35mm converter together with the fixed lense Scarlet 2/3". If that would be possible (and of course with a certain loss of light) then using the nikon/canon lenses already at this point, wouldn't make the upgrade to the S35-version as expensive, since you would already have everything else, except for the 'brain' (of course with other ongoing upgrades).
Old 11-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Lawrence Bansbach
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuftr View Post
A good friend has got an M2 converter from redrockmicro and I can use it if I ask him to.
I know there have already been a lot of discussions about Scarlet and DOF and these converters.

But I think my question is a little bit more specific than the ones we already had:

Should I use (in the case that I wan't to have more DOF) the 35mm converter together with the Scarlet 2/3" (fixed or with interchangeable)? I have never worked with a 35mm converter so this question appeared to me.

I think buying a converter wouldn't be useful as many of you stated in the discussions months ago. But what about using it when I got one in range?
The answer isn't so simple. If you will always want less (shallower) DOF at any field of view and can live with lower frame rates, the new, modular Scarlet system's S35 sensor option will yield better image quality at a cost competitive with that of a combination of 2/3-inch Scarlet, DOF adapter, and relay lens. If you're borrowing the adapter, the 2/3-inch option will be cheaper. And if the DOF adapter companies devise cheap, simpler, high-quality relay lenses and adapters to better compete in a world of S35 and FF35 Scarlets and dSLRs capable of decent HD video, inexpensive, easy-to-set-up adapters may become a very viable solution for those occasionally needing shallower DOF.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
dmpsk8
Native

I was under the impression even the 2/3 was going to yield pretty shallow dof, no?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
David Gray
Native

Send a message via AIM to David Gray Send a message via MSN to David Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpsk8 View Post
I was under the impression even the 2/3 was going to yield pretty shallow dof, no?
It's pretty shallow just search on vimeo for 16mm (which is pretty near) projects or even 2/3" .

I think the danger with adapters when shooting at these resolutions is the amount of detail it will pick up in the ground glass. Another potential issue is getting high enough quality achromats for the lenses.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Lawrence Bansbach
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpsk8 View Post
It is. I think the OP was interested in shallower DOF than achievable with a 2/3-inch imager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
I think the danger with adapters when shooting at these resolutions is the amount of detail it will pick up in the ground glass. Another potential issue is getting high enough quality achromats for the lenses.
That's why I said the "S35 sensor option will yield better image quality" -- all other things being equal, of course.

Last edited by Lawrence Bansbach; 11-16-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Dances With Cameras
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Dances With Cameras

I guess there will be also an option to put an 35mm adapter on the mount, for use with 35mm lenses, but I think I'd rarely use that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXvBjCO19QY&ob=av2n
Old 11-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Tim Hole
Native

An example, don't know the details of what it was shot on etc...

http://www.vimeo.com/1671905
Old 11-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
thegridrunner
Native

well it is a improvement over my 1/3 sensor lens, the background looked sufficiently blurred. But I would like a little more control over depth a field. I reallyto rent a scarlet for a day and see how good the video is... I am a bit uncertain as to which direction I will take next year. Hopefully I will have more choices by summertime.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
Zac C
LEader of something kEwl

Send a message via AIM to Zac C Send a message via Skype™ to Zac C

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuftr View Post

Regards
Shooting with an adapter on the front of it, on 3k... its going to look terrible.... you will see the grain, it just won't be pleasing, and a lot grungier, than even the most "I <3 Grain" buffs with look away...