Go Back   Scarletuser.com > News > ScarletUser News

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #21
Dances With Cameras
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Dances With Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post
So what kind of data rate do you suppose the Scarlet is going to require? I thought the RAW footage was 72 Gigs and hour, right? I would think that ethernet would certainly cover it, providing you have a fast enough laptop with a good RAID.

Well, they advertise it as having "RedCode 42".

I guess that means 42 MB/sec. and I hope it is for 24fps and not for the 120fps mode.

The "old" Scarlet was advertised as having RedCode 100 and I remember Jannard's posts that this is the datarate for the highest-speed, 120fps mode. Which then gave us 20 MB/sec. for the 24fps mode. These were the "old" specs.

Now, if the current "RedCode 42" means this datarate is for 24fps, then the datarate for 120fps should be ~ 210 MB/sec.

So the max datarate for Scarlet would be ~210 MB/sec.

But these are all speculations on my part.

Clarification, anyone?

Mister Jannard, RED?

Or after NAB?

---

BTW, Lossless 3K RAW at 120 fps should be ~ 500 MB/sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXvBjCO19QY&ob=av2n
Old 11-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #22
bigmike
Native

Has anyone looked at HDMI? I don't know what the limitations are, but my TV likes it.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #23
tsvisser@yahoo.com
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post
Has anyone looked at HDMI? I don't know what the limitations are, but my TV likes it.
HDMI is limited to 1920x1080, up to 60fps. Technologies that expand upon the TDMS digital link, such as displayport (and various forms of DVI) are capable of higher resolutions, but HDMI specifically is mainly built as a consumer interconnect to allow enforcement of digital rights management. Its impossible to field terminate, for making your own interconnects, the connector is not locking and easily falls out, limited signal strength over distance limitations would seem to be sufficient discouraging factors to consider using in a professional capacity (other than access to cheap local monitoring)
Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #24
bigmike
Native

Thanks. Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #25
dingos8mybaby
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser@yahoo.com View Post
HDMI is limited to 1920x1080, up to 60fps. Technologies that expand upon the TDMS digital link, such as displayport (and various forms of DVI) are capable of higher resolutions, but HDMI specifically is mainly built as a consumer interconnect to allow enforcement of digital rights management. Its impossible to field terminate, for making your own interconnects, the connector is not locking and easily falls out, limited signal strength over distance limitations would seem to be sufficient discouraging factors to consider using in a professional capacity (other than access to cheap local monitoring)
Some of this is info is dated. HDMI 1.3 can output "1600p75" (up to 30-bit/px; the native resolution of the 30" ACD). Not all products that have hdmi use hdcp (high-bandwith digital content protection?). And as for locking, go here.

I think that if you can work around it's limitations, then you can probably use it in a small studio-type of setting.
________
308 GTB

Last edited by dingos8mybaby; 01-28-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Tags
ethernet data transfer