Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Off-Topic > Terry's Corner

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Jerrod Cordell
Native

Default Do Not Vote!

Serioiusly. Don't vote. Leonardo Dicaprio told me not to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olpCyDA4kYA

Ironically it was shot with the RED ONE.

I do agree with the video though and I think everyone should vote. I finally registered yesterday. So if you haven't registered, do it. If you already have, vote. Because after watching the first Presidential debate and the Vice Presidential debate, if a certain political party wins over the other political party, then we are FUCKED

If anyone disagrees with my opinion, or has opinions of your own, go ahead and say it. I'm curious on how everyone's political views are on these forums.

Watch my shit!
vimeo.com/angryleprechaun
http://www.poptent.net/user/AngryLeprechaun
Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Dances With Cameras
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Dances With Cameras

I think that, one day, perfect democracy could be possible using the Internet. Or, at least, a more direct one like - referendums for more stuff and such.

But there will also be more space for scams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXvBjCO19QY&ob=av2n
Old 10-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
JonFairhurst
Native

Regardless of your party and politics... VOTE!

It's your civic duty. And, if you're not into the duty thing, it's fun!

In Washington State, tomorrow is the last day to register. It's easy. Washington residents can register online:

https://wei.secstate.wa.gov/osos/sec...istration.aspx
Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
MattN
Native

Send a message via AIM to MattN Send a message via Skype™ to MattN

Ron Paul '08!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
holy_handgrenade
Native

Send a message via AIM to holy_handgrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Leprechaun View Post
If anyone disagrees with my opinion, or has opinions of your own, go ahead and say it. I'm curious on how everyone's political views are on these forums.
I'm not saying that I disagree but I dont think we've gotten qualified candidates running for office for several decades now. Now we're stuck between 2 very inadequate choices, looking to choose the least inadept one for the job of RUNNING OUR COUNTRY!

The qualified and decent candidates get laughed out, or stomped out so early that most never even hear about what really and truly *could* be in this country. Instead we get the smiling, attractive, charismatic people that people would like to have over for thier bbq or share a beer with.

BTW: The Dems being a little more green, my have the right intentions but have the potentiall for completely screwing us financially moreso than the current situation

The Reps are just antiquated ideas that really, in this day and age, need to conform - conservatives are generally against change, but we need not "conserve" the cold war scare tactics and fears about the world at large either.

I hate both, but I'm going dem because they seem the lesser of the evils at this point.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
Kyle Presley
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
Ron Paul '08!
Amen!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Pietro Impagliazzo
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro Impagliazzo

Politics apart...
Gosh, that's a well thought and executed ad.
I can see that influencing people's opinions.

In Brazil voting is obligatory and of course now I'm over 18 and I will vote...
But I'll NULL everything since I have no idea about politics and I'll do less harm this way.

Acintyah khalu ye bhava na tams tarkena yojayet
There's no use arguing over that which is inconceivable

Pietro Impagliazzo
vimeo.com/impa
impagliazzo.500px.com
Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
holy_handgrenade
Native

Send a message via AIM to holy_handgrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impagliazzo View Post
In Brazil voting is obligatory and of course now I'm over 18 and I will vote...
I seriously and truly wish that was the way things were here. As it is, we get less than 1/3 of the elegible voters to turnout and actually vote. Our last election had 101 million votes tallied, out of 380million population (these are citizens, not total occupancy) and those were record numbers!

That and we have our entire election process completely run by the 2 parties. Both parties will try to nit-pick and exclude anyone and everyone they can from voting.

And of course, we would fail any fair and free election test that we design when we're trying to decide if a destabilized 3rd world nation has run a fair election.

I do remember speaking to kids in Brazil, it seems that you guys down there are just more politically plugged in. Short of President, I doubt a 10 year old here can name a single politician. It's just not encouraged to do so here.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Granty
Bronze Member

A major global recession is coming, and $700billion ain't going to stop it, it really doesn't matter who the hell is running America over the next 5 years, as ever way it is going to be bad, that dice has been thrown already.

But remember, people have died for democracy, not for your right to vote, but for your right to choose to vote, that's democracy, you have a right to abstain if you feel that no option represents your politics - and once enough people abstain a new political system will rise to represent the un-represented.

Last edited by Granty; 10-03-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
Tim Hole
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProductBE View Post
A major global recession is coming, and $700billion ain't going to stop it, it really doesn't matter who the hell is running America over the next 5 years, as ever way it is going to be bad, that dice has been thrown already.

But remember, people have died for democracy, not for your right to vote, but for your right to choose to vote, that's democracy, you have a right to abstain if you feel that now option represents your politics. And once enough people abstain a new political system will rise to represent the un-represented.
Very true statement. It annoys the hell outta me, as i don't see any leadership qualities in any of the lead runners in this country (UK). In the US anything is better than Bush. ---looking forward to seeing W.

dispite the politics of all involved, the point of just having a black president is a step in a direction. They are all gonna do the same thing anyway, promise the same crap and not deliver. Why not shake things up a little.