Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Scarlet General Discussion > Scarletuser Archives

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 05:21 AM   #591
David Rasberry

I like the 4/3 standard too. Lenses specifically designed for digital cameras. Would easily cover a super 16 or slightly larger sensor and there is everything from 8mm super wides to 800mm super teles available now. You would not need a 35 adaptor for anything. Olympus and Leica make glass that is as good as any at the high end and there are decent low cost choices too. The u4/3 was just announced in August, but the older 4/3 might be optically better. The lenses for that are telecentric designs that deliver light to the sensor at nearly perpendicular angles. Seems to me it would be a great choice for a true mini D-cine camera system.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:40 AM   #592
GIR.exe
Native

As a photographer i find it hard to get excited about Cannon and Nikon glass. Sure they may do some good stuff now but I and many serious photographers have M42 and other lens collections that go BAck to the early days of slr photography. I think a fixed lense will do wonders for the market who want a top quality " handicam but better type of thing" but for the photophile market one would like to see as much compatability with early mounts or atleast provide the option to mount lens adaptors and still have functions of AF confirmation ( if it will be in scarlet or monstro)
Old 09-24-2008, 06:01 AM   #593
David Rasberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus eklof View Post
Being a stills photographer since 20 years and now gravitating towards videography, I donīt really understand why makers of cameras like RED or Scarlet (or Panavision or Arri for that matter) donīt simply stick a Nikon-mount on the camera?? Nikon has a lot of great glass that I guess would work as well on a RED as on a D3?? Thatīs what I would have done, am I missing something??
35mm format still camera lenses are too limiting for s35 or smaller formats. They are useful as an alternative for lower cost primes. Film makers also need high quality true zoom lenses with optical performance requirements still camera lenses don't meet. Image geometry, focus, and light transmission should be absolutely stable during zoom shots, and image geometry should not change during pull focus shots. This is not easy to achieve.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #594
Anthony Mann
Native

Ah....S**t... I was so looking forward to it next year. Can't wait to hear about the new spec's...
Old 09-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #595
Stu Mannion
Native

When I heard about the new Scarlet my first thought was interchangeable lenses. The more I think about however, the more I agree with some of the posters above. What I really want is a s35 DOF and AUTO-FOCUS! That's right I want auto focus. I think AF is actually essential in a camera for this market. When i think of all the shooting I've done, whenever i have a good AF i use it, a lot, even if it's just to set focus momentarily.
Does anyone make a motion camera with a s35mm sized lens with AF? All those still camera AF systems aren't going to work i don't think.
The more I think about the more i realize how awesome it would be to pull it off. Very difficult, but imagine if you could shoot with a built in s35 RED zoom with auto focus - so good for guerrilla filmmaking.
On the other hand someone here said that to make a lens with the old Scarlet's specs for a s35 sensor it would need to be like a foot long. This is where the dream falls apart. Perhaps a 2/3" sensor is actually the best size if you don't have a dedicated focus-puller?

Still if that s35 auto-focus-zoom-lens equipped Scarlet could be made it would be awesome. Pulling focus with stills lenses seems like a pain in the ass now that i think about it. The suspense is killing me.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #596
JPSendall
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumann View Post
What I really want is a s35 DOF and AUTO-FOCUS! That's right I want auto focus. I think AF is actually essential in a camera for this market.
If you are a serious filmmaker you turn autofocus off. For docs or news auto focus is a must but it has to be good, very good.

story not pixels
Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 AM   #597
Jared Caldwell
Ocular Moderator :}

Send a message via Skype™ to Jared Caldwell

I just woke up after a (short) fitfull nights sleep after staying up late doing work...to find more discussion on interchangeable lenses. We know the pros and cons of interchangeable lenses. This has been discussed at length at RedUser before the creation of ScarletUser, then discussed at rediculous length on ScarletUser in the early days, and now it is being beaten to death here...again. Let's stop beating a dead horse. Can't we just chill until we hear more information?

I am tired of my boards being hijacked by interchangeable lenses. I am near-sighted, so I have to live with a shallow depth of field every day...it ain't that big a deal. I feel like a tired and crotchety old man in my young years, so I guess I will spare the rest of the world of my morning grumps and go back to sleep. /end grump
Old 09-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #598
Granty
Bronze Member

happy snoozing
Old 09-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #599
petereit
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mann View Post
Ah....S**t... I was so looking forward to it next year. Can't wait to hear about the new spec's...
Good grief. Can we add the following test that people must pass before they're allowed to post to this thread?

Release date for the Scarlet has been delayed.
  • True
  • False
If they select False, it allows them to post. If they select True, it deletes their entire profile and adds them to AOL's mailing list.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #600
David Rasberry

I don't think we will see anything near an s35 sensor in Scarlet. Along with the larger sensor comes the need for greater processing power to support it, bigger body, bigger batteries, bigger more expensive lens. This is still going to be a compact cine camera, not a glorified still camera. I would opt for greater sensitivity and dynamic range.