Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Scarlet General Discussion > Scarletuser Archives

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:20 AM   #521
David Rasberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalen7 View Post
The fact that its not in a plastic shell is a good start to me.
I miss the days when (talking slrs here) had a metal body you could drop and bang around...and felt like they weighed a ton.

This light plastic feeling of todays cameras...not into it at all.
You feel like one bump and the camera will fall into pieces.

dAlen
My wife"s Nikon D40 fell off the tripod from about 4 feet when she didn't have the screw engaged. The body wasn't damaged, the autofocus mechanism on the lens got jammed. The electronics were toast. Dead camera. At the low consumer level at least they are not very rugged. I baby my Canon GL2 for the same reason. It is not mechanically rugged like a true pro camera must be.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #522
paladin2664
Native

Default What is happening?

It's hard to believe that the decision to change the Scarlet is not in part the fact that both Canon, Panasonic, Nikon and others are adding HD abilities to SLR lines. Myself as a wildlife photographer/videographer will really benefit from this evolution. I have a huge investment in Powerful high quality Canon lenses, like Canon's EF 400mm F/2.8 IS on one and and the amazing aspherical 14mm USM II, and 6 L series lenses between.

Being able push a button and catch an animals behavior, or even just carrying an extra body that I can switch to would be just plain amazing. I have been admiring Red from a distance thinking that one day I might retire my HVX and buy a little Scarlet for my Video/Film work. But with the advent of the D5 Mk II there is hope that there may be another option.

The Mistake that Canon has made in not having a 24P option is just the video hand of Canon not taking to the Camera hand. All around 24p is the best workflow. 20% Less to data to store and compress. 20% better exposure on the low end. DVD's were in fact designed for 24p Film to distribute to TV so the technology and Compression schemes all look beautiful. 24p just feels better when watching it... there is science behind that that every one here is familiar with so I won't go there.

The other mistake is just shooting at 1080p. Although this is the most common high end delivery system that is out in the market, for a film maker not being able to have a little extra room to crop and repair things in post is problematic. Even a 10% larger field of view would make a big difference.

Canon's camera is a good first step. Nikon and the panasonic Lumix is of less interest but is still a good sign. The Question is what has RED Learned from this turn of events?

Will the Scarlet be an Digital Cinema camera with SLR abilites?
Will it have adaptors to allow the full functional use of Canon or Nikon lenses?

Will RED Realize that if they are about to dive into this new middle realm of SLR/HD
high end consumer low end professional that they ought to at least poll this community build the camera in concert with what might be of advantage to them and make the best use of the resources they already have?

Thats my RED Rant of the day I guess we will see in 6 months if the RED amazing approach to this new world of digital film making is able to hold and eventually capture the imaginations and wallets of Photographers and Indy film makers, or if Canon and Nikon have seen the writing on the wall and will beat Red to it.

Good news is that no matter what the options look good for the consumers.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #523
Roberto Merlini
Native

This post has had 85,800 views in just over 24 hours is that a RED record?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #524
Dances With Cameras
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Dances With Cameras

It's a RED Scarlet record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXvBjCO19QY&ob=av2n
Old 09-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #525
dalen7
Native

Again, not sure where Red is going as far as the DSMC and Scarlet.
(i.e., merging it or not.) But, it would be nice for their still camera to have a 100% bright view finder like the Sony A900.

Canon went from 96 -98 on the 5DII.
I really dont see the logic or difficulty in just giving 100%.
(With the exception that there is little to distinguish it from its 1Ds camera now.)

Im sure I didnt even have to mention this and that this is an "of course" for the still part of Reds camera plans.

Peace

dAlen
Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #526
Granty
Bronze Member

I am not into D-film dev. I am a A/V Artist and I knew this competition was coming, everyone with half a brain knew it was on the cards. You don't come along, like RED has, shake up the market and expect to big boys to roll over, if Canon and the others are doing this with DSLR market, imagine what is planned for the HD film cam market.

The Nikon is good, the Canon is hot, the Ikonoskop A-cam dII is sweet, but here is the thing, you give me $4-5k to get kit to make a production what am I going to do, get a Nikon and a few lens, get a Canon and a few lens, not afford a Ikonoskop - I get to shoot HD at 1k with no cherry on top. Or am I going to wait to see what Scarlet (3K / 180fps ) 2.0 is going to be. I can make a film with all of the contenders, I can make a great film with the Scarlet, and better still with Scarlet 2.0.

This is just the early days as the market is being shaken up, I know how quickly it moves, I have a 8MP Nikon, few years old that shot video, the video was shit - the video on a basic Nikon today is 4-5 times that quality, the HD on the new Canon is cool, the next gen DSLR's are going to have 3-4k to match Scarlet.

But then I have RED, a company that listens, a company that plans for the future, aims to have upgradeable modular systems and at the right price. If you gave me a HD Canon or a Sony EX3 I'd be over the moon, I'd shot some great stuff, but next year I'd be selling that to put it towards my Scarlet kit fund.

Point is, anyone who states this news has anything to do with the DSLR market is a fool, I am under the impression it was planned all along - put up some mock-up designs, list a spec, get the feedback develop and move the product forwards, then before you nail it down, get some last minute hype and feedback, move it on from there - well done Red and thank you for listening to the clever folk on these forums.

We all wait intently for that 'shocking' news that will have the big boys crying, "running for the hills", as Jim states.

And do you think Red will stop there, no effing way, this is just the 2nd wave of the rebellion coming over the hill, fully loaded... BOOM.

It may have won a battle with the Red One, but this is a full scale war and Red ain't taking no prisioners!

So all together now, let us go over the top... AHHHH!!!!

Last edited by Granty; 09-23-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 AM   #527
RicanJoe
Native

I sense soccer moms will now have to learn the art of focus pulling.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #528
Dances With Cameras
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Dances With Cameras

I think RED's got nothing to lose.

They can only grow even bigger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicanJoe View Post
I sense soccer moms will now have to learn the art of focus pulling.

And a sudden influx of female Cinematography students attending classes with babies in their hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXvBjCO19QY&ob=av2n
Old 09-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #529
acoelho1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick Hagman View Post
The real question is: Will you be able to afford the Scarlet workflow? I'm not sure yet myself, after Jim's announcement yesterday it looks more like a 4k$ scarlet.
I believe workflow issues will be significantly better and cheaper by the time Scartlet is out. All the heartaches Red One users are going through now will benefit Scarlet users in the future.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #530
GIR.exe
Native

posting in epic thread :P