Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Scarlet General Discussion > Scarletuser Archives

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #481
dalen7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by aombk View Post
it has 14bit color and much bigger sensor so i assume very low noise even in low light conditions like the video we saw.
Low light is the jungle in India.
He even mentioned, though quickly, he had some extra lighting besides the 'natural street/car lights' already available.

Again, the whole bit reads so enthusiastically about the camera that most people forget that he had extra stuff to make the video he did.
(Again, I keep pointing out to his comment about the expensive tripod...and after one dudes mentioning that it would be the cost of the camera or more for a tripod that would make the pans work...I would love to know more of the facts behind the video.)

So, let joe smoe pick up the same camera and shoot a video...and see what his low light and pans look like.

Hey, if it works out...I might go and pick up a Mark II.
I just think to many people are putting too high expectations on a camera that aint going to do what they think it will...without certain assist.

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7; 09-22-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #482
Larson
Native

Send a message via AIM to Larson Send a message via MSN to Larson

I shoot off road races and was hoping that Scarlet would be up to the task of all the dust and heat that is associated with it. The Canon ZR500(Clearly I am in need of an upgrade here!) I shoot with has been up to this task over the past 2 years. Living in Arizona, the temperatures can get quite high(115+) and shooting so close to vehicles driving at high speeds on dirt roads sure kicks up a lot of dust. This is my only concern on with the Scarlet, so hopefully it will be able to handle the harsh environment!

-Chris Larson
Old 09-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #483
dalen7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson View Post
This is my only concern on with the Scarlet, so hopefully it will be able to handle the harsh environment!

-Chris Larson
The fact that its not in a plastic shell is a good start to me.
I miss the days when (talking slrs here) had a metal body you could drop and bang around...and felt like they weighed a ton.

This light plastic feeling of todays cameras...not into it at all.
You feel like one bump and the camera will fall into pieces.

So build it rough and rugged Jim. Let it bang against rocks on the side of a mountain without getting scratched. (o.k. - I can handle scratches...but no dents...deal?)

Peace

dAlen
Old 09-22-2008, 10:39 PM   #484
John Caballero
Native

Quote:
He even mentioned, though quickly, he had some extra lighting besides the 'natural street/car lights' already available.
The fact is that any serious film that wants to compete out there has to be lighted properly with the right equipment for the job. People keep talking about low light conditions. Maybe a documentary, or a poorly lit amateur game but for movies it is imperative that the scene is well lighted. If not check out a movie set in a New York street and witness 10 18 wheelers parked around full of lights, reflectors and stands! Thats Hollywood for you, over lit if you can.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #485
dalen7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caballero View Post
The fact is that any serious film that wants to compete out there has to be lighted properly with the right equipment for the job. People keep talking about low light conditions. Maybe a documentary, or a poorly lit amateur game but for movies it is imperative that the scene is well lighted. If not check out a movie set in a New York street and witness 10 18 wheelers parked around full of lights, reflectors and stands! Thats Hollywood for you, over lit if you can.
Totally true...Im just feeling sorry for the people who read the hype and go away missing the fact you need lights, and an 'expensive tripod'.
The article was written as to make it sound like the camera was ready off the shelf to do the exact same footage he did...with nothing but some models and a car.

That tripod bit...want to know how much it cost...how expensive is expensive.

Peace

dAlen
Old 09-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #486
Cynic
Native

I can't believe I read all of that. As a result, I had to register an account and post to justify the time spent on a single thread. I've been keeping a casual eye on Red since Engadget first posted pictures of some newfangled camera that looked like it was spawned from an assault rifle. The $17k starting price tag kept it out of reach. When Scarlet was announced, I resolved to patiently wait until its release and then score one for sure. This bit of news pushed me over the edge. Now I'm doomed to keep a daily vigil on this site until the release date. Jim's marketing tactics remind me of a knife company called Busse. Their knives really are the best, but they still feel compelled to torture their customers with anticipation and irresistible hype. And just like the Busse customers, you Redheads seem to love every minute of it. Oh well. All aboard.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #487
lnp25
Native

oh my..... this is crazy... i had to go make a drink when I saw the first post and how many pages were coming.. now I need another... this is too much for me...

CB
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #488
tsvisser@yahoo.com
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
I've been keeping a casual eye on Red since Engadget first posted pictures of some newfangled camera that looked like it was spawned from an assault rifle.
Seriously, the Weaver / 1911 rails make me feel obligated to put a SureFire light with trigger pad, laser sight, ACOG scope, handle, and sling on the thing. I think it should be delivered in a weapons case with a few complimentary hand grenades, too.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #489
John Caballero
Native

Quote:
Their knives really are the best, but they still feel compelled to torture their customers with anticipation and irresistible hype. And just like the Busse customers, you Redheads seem to love every minute of it. Oh well. All aboard.
Is torture like this allowed by the USA goverment?

Quote:
Totally true...Im just feeling sorry for the people who read the hype and go away missing the fact you need lights, and an 'expensive tripod'.
Well the truth is he basically used one light for the exteriors and in the BTS footage he seems to be using the modeling light output from flash heads to light the bathroom scene? The tripod may be expensive but didn't seem too fancy.

Last edited by John Caballero; 09-22-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:56 PM   #490
Fahreza
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser@yahoo.com View Post
Seriously, the Weaver / 1911 rails make me feel obligated to put a SureFire light with trigger pad, laser sight, ACOG scope, handle, and sling on the thing. I think it should be delivered in a weapons case with a few complimentary hand grenades, too.
Wow, all this time i thought i was the only one who sees Red One like a carbine with rail integrated system ready to mount accessories. Hopefully Scarlet will be as versatile. Hopefully I can afford one. The statement "forget the price" really means even more affordable. Product quality-wise, I guess we all trust Red.