Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Scarlet General Discussion > Scarletuser Archives

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #451
acoelho1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle.presley View Post
Why not buy a ONE, then?
There is still a big window between 3k and 17.5 (base only) price so there is some wiggle room. I was thinking along the lines of a grand or two more, which would be considerably less then a basic Red One package.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #452
aombk
Native

"if you what a professional film camera wait for Scarlet!!!!"
ProductBE are you suggesting that red will drop digital acquisition and will prefer film for scarlet? is this the big surprise? do you know something we dont?

jk.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #453
Granty
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aombk View Post
"if you what a professional film camera wait for Scarlet!!!!"
ProductBE are you suggesting that red will drop digital acquisition and will prefer film for scarlet? is this the big surprise? do you know something we dont?

jk.
I just know like everyone here that the Scarlet is going to be a profession D-film camera. Film doesn't mean what you think it means anymore, we ain't in the 1990's no more - get with the program.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #454
ChinaRed
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
We have changed everything about Scarlet because the market has changed and we have discovered a lot of things in the process. We have a new vision.

Wipe you minds of the past announced Scarlet. Forget the design and forget the price. It is all different now. We think you will be surprised. Glad we didn't take any deposits... :-)

Jim
Wouldn't this suggest that everyone doesn't know that it is going to be a digital film camera?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #455
Granty
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaRed View Post
Wouldn't this suggest that everyone doesn't know that it is going to be a digital film camera?
Considering they are a digital film camera company, what do you think? Think D-film cam, then think up from there.

Everything has changed... 'the market has changed', 'We have a new vision','Forget the design and forget the price'.

This is all cryptic but it does sound special, and why advertise 'forget the price' that is odd! That can only mean one thing in my book, and it isn't a hike, 'we have a new vision' is that a clue!!!

Am I just searching for a freakin bone, all I know is I need to go to bed, can I sleep, no! Thank you, you bunch of Red bastards.

Last edited by Granty; 09-22-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #456
OUinLA

425 viewers in the Scarlet forum right now. Usually when I log on, it's around 25-35. You have to wonder why Canon, Panasonic, Sony don't have message boards like this.

Nevermind, they'd have to listen.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #457
RED-Tank2
Native

Just want to occupy a slot in this super insane long thread to show my happy face ~@.@~

Jim, please don't forget a tour package to RED HQ, how about a One Week pre-NAB Scarlet Tour then we can get our ScarletII at NAB right before we fly home.

I am from Malaysia, hard to apply visa but I will have to get one now.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #458
aombk
Native

anyway, this whole thing with scarlet sounds nice but...

ok.

here is a rumor my uncle who is a professional photographer told me a couple of hours ago. it seems that panasonic, canon and sony have been secretly working together for the past couple of months to come up with something to help them keep their share of the market(against red that is)and they came up with a rather revolutionary idea. they will use not one,not three, but many image sensors (neither cmos nor ccd but sensors of chemical nature with 35mm diameter) in line one after another for video acquisition as well as fast data storage(yes, data storage on the sensors!), one progressive frame per each sensor, one sensor succeeding the other at adjustable framerates and this technology will be called f.i.l.m. i think.

ok just kidding again and i know i know it is a stupid joke.

but the fact is that i am nervous jim, i am eating my nails here like when i was a small boy. and there is something more than unfounded fear that makes me nervous jim. actually, it has solid foundations. i wonder, will we know more about scarlet before cern lhc experiments create a mini black hole that will travel to the center of the earth and swallow us all?

Last edited by aombk; 09-22-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #459
Stormlight
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek_01 View Post

This thing.
Sad part is. The money they're wasting renting out the grand for this, RED can just save and put into making the cameras better and keeping the price down and have twice the impact with word of mouth.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #460
throb
Native

the biggest issue with DSLR's these days is dynamic range. Fuji just announced that is where a lot of development is going. I don't mind losing resolution if i gain dynamic range. right now i get 2-3 stops out of my canon's. I want more than that!

there's a feature request for ya

the red DR is good but is still a bit limiting, especially when a redspace, etc lut gets applied. i know because i am grading a short in scratch right now and had to move shots away from redspace luts (baked in to dpx files) because the DR was not there to manage the color corrections needed.

additionally, i would love the DSLR to record to exr files. that would be excellent. no new file formats please

rob