Scarletuser.com

Go Back   Scarletuser.com > Scarlet DSMC > Still Life

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
johnvid
Native

Still photography, capturing the moment, simple, I love it, so much more trickier with moving stuff, and at the end of it is it any better for the motion, maybe in 4k its all good, but some things work better as stills, a moving clip of some of the above wouldn't in my opinion be as effective, perhaps the one that would be better as motion is the one that works least as a still... the crowd shot.
The thing that made these leica's a great favorite was probably only really the lens? Having the convenience of digital means they do have to make something more complex, expensive, and eventually ultimately more obsolete than the film version.

You seem well on your way to a promising career, maybe its your job thats keeping you from exploring the Scarlet more? Maybe its it's capabilities as you mentioned, the need to take an easy still with it? Maybe additional things holding you back, sure it will come in time, was kinda the position I thought I may end up in myself one day, but I have to imagine the 7D is the new camera, and concentrate on what the hell to do with it.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #12
Sean Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvid View Post
The thing that made these leica's a great favorite was probably only really the lens?
Yes the lens for sure, but the rangefinder experience extends beyond that as well. It's a very different experience to, say, the DSLR photography process.

Quote:
You seem well on your way to a promising career, maybe its your job thats keeping you from exploring the Scarlet more?
Nah not exactly. Why do you say that?

By the way I can't explore the Scarlet yet is because it's currently in Japan.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
johnvid
Native

Hopefully earning you money as you sleep!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #14
David Rasberry

First camera I ever bought was a Leica 3G rangefinder with a 50mm f2.8 Elmar. Great camera for event shooting and people, almost totally silent.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
johnvid
Native

Do you still own it, or a rangefinder, i've never used one, don't really know how they differ from a simple offset window, I assume some aid to focus range, never really looked into them, although a rangefinder scope is ideal quick draw.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #16
David Rasberry

Quote:
Do you still own it, or a rangefinder, i've never used one, don't really know how they differ from a simple offset window, I assume some aid to focus range, never really looked into them, although a rangefinder scope is ideal quick draw.
Yes I still have the old Leica. It uses a parallax rangefinder where you align two images on top of each other to focus. There are two windows spaced a few inches apart on the body, one is direct view to the eyepiece, and one has a moving mirror behind it linked to the lens that overlays a 2nd image on the first. Works very well in low light. The finder also shows frame markers for different focal length lenses that change when a different lens is attached. How do it know?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
johnvid
Native

Interesting I'm not sure how it knows, but must be mechanical..I was thinking Sports Finder, which is a little quicker & no mechanics.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
johnvid
Native

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat...tsujimura.html