PDA

View Full Version : Super DIY StediCam

David Gray
07-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Very cool lil thing. Looks like be awesome for handycams; not sure would support a larger prosumer camera though.

http://ow.ly/hifC

David Rasberry
07-14-2009, 07:33 PM
It could certainly be built to handle Scarlet weight cameras if you have the strength to hold it up.

Peter Mosiman
07-15-2009, 02:29 AM
Someone should try it out for a proposed scarlet weight.

Tim Hole
07-15-2009, 08:15 AM
I bought a cheap version of the fig rig from ebay for about 40. We shot a charity vid with it on a PD150 and it handled it beautifully. If I can I will post some of the footage to show you. I like the fig rig style it has all the positive elements of the steadicam for low weight applications.

caliboss
07-15-2009, 09:15 AM
I also built a fig rig and guess what, it's a small wood finished, metal reinforced Mercedes Benz steering arm. An amazing product, it's flat, has central positions for mounting a camera base plate and a grip groove on the round arm for steady grip, the 1.5'' bar hooks on to my shortgun mike real well. It's small and light weight and works well with my Hv10.

Tim Hole
07-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I also built a fig rig and guess what, it's a small wood finished, metal reinforced Mercedes Benz steering arm. An amazing product, it's flat, has central positions for mounting a camera base plate and a grip groove on the round arm for steady grip, the 1.5'' bar hooks on to my shortgun mike real well. It's small and light weight and works well with my Hv10.

Nice...love it...a fig rig with style!

John Burnley
07-16-2009, 05:01 AM
The DIY SteadiCam is a really smart put-together likeness to a couple of the more modest (but very functional) Glidecam units. Its weak point, as far as I can see without handling it, is the grip area on the gimbal which looks small. A larger gripping area would permit the operator to heft more weight. But, as the video shows, it works great with light handicams. I agree, David, this could be made to handle the weight of a Scarlet for short "flights") but the sort of arm strength required might be substantial (depending on the weight of the Scarlet configuration -- remains to be seen).

KurtF
07-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Here's another; similar rig:

Stabilizer (http://www.dvcamerarigs.com/Stabilizer.html)

Check the demo movie- seems very smooth.

MattN
07-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I wish I were more handy so I could make a few of these things.